Colorado Fall Colors - VisionQuest PhotoJourney
September 25-30 / 2019 - $1,795 ($795 Deposit) - Limited to 8 Participants. (based on double occupancy)
ALL INCLUSIVE PHOTO TOUR
This is an all inclusive (well mostly) photo tour. This means that most of your expenses are included in the registration fee. Here is what is included and not included in your registration fee.
WHAT'S INCLUDED WITH YOUR REGISTRATION
• All accommodations (based on double occupancy) in both Crested Butte and Ridgway from September 25-30 (five nights).
• Complimentary bottled water and snacks daily.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED WITH YOUR REGISTRATION
• Daily transportation to and from each location. A detailed itinerary with GPS coordinates will be provided for the meeting locations for each day. Please reserve your car rental from the Denver Airport (or surrounding area) well in advance of the trip dates.
• Accommodations on Sept 24 - your day of arrival or Sept 30 - your day of departure.
• Food costs. You will need to take care of all your own food and beverage costs (other than water and light snacks) throughout the entire week.
• Any personal belongings and equipment.
• Any extra personal expenses incurred because of weather, logistical delays or missed flights.
• Travel medical insurance and trip cancellation/interruption insurance.
• Any optional gratuities
WHAT TO EXPECT
• Weather can change at anytime during fall in Colorado. Temperature can range from -10 degrees to 60's during the daytime.
PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION POLICY
• More than 30 days prior to trip start date, 50% refund (unless I can fill your spot)
• Less than 30 days prior to trip start date, no refunds (unless I can fill your spot)
• Payment in full due 45 days prior to workshop start date.
Shane McDermott, Dave Hutchison (davehutchison.ca)
This is not your traditional photo tour simply meant to get you to the best locations in the best light. That is a given!
We've set the bar super high and expect you to come away from this experience feeling completely transformed both as a photographer and as a human being. Regardless if you are a beginner, intermediate or seasoned professional, this experience will forever transform the way you approach your photography and open up creative dimensions you've never even thought about. Simply put...
"This is about awakening your unique creative expression"
VisionQuest Photography is a radically transformative experiences meant offer breakthrough insights, experiences and profound practices you can take away and evolve and integrate into your photographic practice. Working with the seasonal energy of autumn is a powerful part of the teaching and practice we offer in this workshop.
Autumn is a powerfully transformative time of year. It is spectacularly beautiful with radiant displays of color, and it's energy is markedly different than the effulgence of summer. Autumn is a time of profound transition and release. It's natures way of letting go of what is no longer necessary, something we humans often struggle with. How is this important to me as a photographer?
"We must be willing to let go of what blocks or limits our creative expression."
Like the trees releasing their leaves, the transition into autumn can help teach artists to focus on what is truly important and essential to our creative development. Once we are capable of working in accordance with this seasons natural energies and expressions we can learn to attune to and recognize what is blocking our creative expression.
WHAT ELSE MAKES THIS WORKSHOP UNIQUE?
"The entire experience is focused on your creative development"
Vision Quest Photography is a deep dive into conscious creativity! This workshop will provide you with an introduction to a comprehensive teaching and practice that you can work with and evolve over time. This is a developmental teaching and practice aimed at removing the 4 primary barriers blocking your unique creative expression.
To further facilitate and support your artistic development, you will receive the following:
• Vision Quest Photography guide book and practice manual.
• A detailed pack and prep list (once you register).
• Expert guidance to all of the areas greatest locations.
• In-field technical instructions related to creative composition, control of light, focus stacking, etc.
• Visualization and awareness practices meant to break habitual ways of seeing.
• Breathing and body based practices meant to free you functionally and ground you into greater awareness.
• Creative and detailed image processing techniques that fully capture and reflect YOUR unique creative vision.
• Powerful post precessing techniques that fully integrates your experience in the field with the expression of the final image creation.
This tour highlights two of the most remarkable fall color locations in Colorado. The San Juan National Forest and the Gunnison National Forest are both legendary locations for fall color photography.
For the first 3 days, we will head to Crested Butte and the Gunnsion National Forest. From here, we have quick access to Gothic Peak, East River, Ohio Valley and the Kebler Pass area which offers dozens of wonderful locations.
For the last 2 days, we will be situated out of Rigway, Co which is a tremendous hub that allows us so many options for both sunrise, sunset, midday and starlight shooting. Some of our locations will include County roads 5.7.9, Owl Creek Pass, Last Dollar Road, Chimney Rock and many less known locations in the Mount Sneffles Wilderness area.
Although we will be visiting many beautiful locations, creative and artistic growth will be the priority and focus of this workshop. Of course we can never guarantee ideal condition, photographers must be willing to make the most of the location and conditions present, willing to embrace less than ideal conditions as a opportunity for creative growth. Most locations offer relatively ease access, however we may occasionally want to get off the beaten path a bit (nothing extreme). I want to make sure you all are up for a bit of a (safe) adventure.
• Adventurous photographers willing and able to hike, drive and work off the beaten path a bit.
• Curious photographers eager to push beyond their current creative boundaries.
• Excited photographers ready to move past documentary or representational image making.
• Informed (this doesn't mean advanced) photographers who understand how their cameras function.
• Accepting photographers willing to make the most of the conditions present.
• Exuberant photographers capable of early morning (pre-sunrise, post sunset and after dark starlight) photo excursions.
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR:
• Photographers with significant physical limitations.
• Photographers not interested in exploring personal or artistic growth.
• Photographers who need assistance with basic camera operations (just read and understand the basics of your camera manual and you will be fine).
IMPORTANT NOTICE: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE REGISTERING!
• You are registration for the Colorado Fall Colors Workshop running September 25-30, 2019.
• This is a small group tour limited to 8 participants. Although the mountains of southwest Colorado are extraordinarily beautiful during fall, expect numerous inclement or ever severe and abrupt weather changes through the tour.
• From our lodging locations, drive times to and from our shooting locations will be 20-45 minutes.
• It will be the responsibility of each participant to manage their time and energy appropriately. These are long days with early mornings and sometimes late nights. You are not required to participate in all activities or shoots. It is better to manage your time and energy in a way that allows you to maximize your learning.