Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
April 15-19 / 2020 - $1695 ($795 deposit)
Limited to 8 Participants (Based on double occupancy)
Optional single fee - $485
5 Days / 4 Nights, all lodging included
Workshop in collaboration with Dave Hutchison (davehutchison.ca)
Vancouver Island is rare undiscovered gem for landscape photography! I lived there for 20 year, I continue to revisit the Island several times each year. Each visit I fall more in love with what the island has to offer. I'm sure you'll have a similar experience once you get a taste of Vancouver Island magic.
This tour is designed to offer a remarkable west coast experience, the best of what Vancouver Island has to offer. We'll start in the old victorian style city of Victoria, British Columbia. It's called the "Garden City" for good reason, it's bursting with flowers and is home to some of the most beautiful gardens in the world., including the famous Butchart Gardens.
We'll spend time exploring the heart of Victoria's inner harbor as well as the wilds of the rugged west coast. You'll be presented with amazing photographic opportunities each and everyday. Expect to see and experience the breath taking beauty of old city architecture, west coast charm, waterfalls, old growth rainforests and spectacular seascapes.
Everyone will fly in and out of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Dave and I will make all the lodging reservations which is included in the workshop price. You'll need to make rental car reservations out of Victoria International Airport. A passport will also be required for entry into Canada.
PREPARATORY AND PROCESSING WEBINARS - 3 Educational Webinars Included
• As a VisionQuest Photo Workshop, we include in the price of your registration, three very special webinar events, Two preparatory webinars before the workshop and one post processing webinar shortly after the conclusion of the workshop.
• The first two pre-workshop webinars offer simple yet powerful creative practices. New ways of seeing and sensing into nature and your creative experience in the moment.
• The post-workshop webinar will guide you through a novel new way of approaching image processing meant to have your images fully reflect all the power and beauty of everything you saw and felt at the time of capture.
WHAT'S INCLUDED WITH YOUR REGISTRATION
• First night stay at the Quality Inn, Victoria (April 15, 2020)
• West Coast Trail Lodge (April 16, 17, 18, 2020)
• Dedicated meeting rooms for image review, critique and editing
• Bottled water and light snacks 6 nights in Dolomite mountain huts (July 7-13, 2020)
• Expert photographic guidance, in and out of the field.
• Time to ask and practice all of your "how to's".
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED WITH YOUR REGISTRATION
• Travel medical insurance and trip cancellation/interruption insurance.
• Any optional gratuities
• Airfare to and from Victoria International airport.
• Car rentals
• Meals while on the tour.
• Transportation to and from Port Renfrew (about 2 hours from Victoria).
• Personal items and camera gear.
PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION POLICY
• More than 30 days prior to trip start date, 50% refund (unless I can fill your spot)
• Less than 30 days prior to trip start date, no refunds (unless I can fill your spot)
• Payment in full due 45 days prior to workshop start date.YOUR
INSTRUCTORSShane McDermott, Dave Hutchison (davehutchison.ca)
VISION QUEST PHOTO TOURS
Definitely expect great locations and incredibly dynamic conditions, But, this is a VisionQuest photo excursion, so you can expect so much more. We'll use our five days together for creative exploration and discovery into new ways of seeing and connecting with the beauty of the west coast.
With VisionQuest Photo Tours there is a special emphasis on your personal creative experience and expression. This includes both the technical and mechanical use of your camera but it doesn't stop there.
Our cameras can only see and capture what we can see and sense in the moment. Throughout the tour we'll explore simple yet powerful practices that help us see, sense and feel into the beauty we'll encounter in new and creative ways. You'll learn how to couple precise technical capture with highly creative thought processes that will allow your artistic capacities to fully flourish.
If you're wanting to take your creative expression to a completely new level, this tour will be a great fit for you! I hope you can join us on Vancouver Island!
Please be aware that all locations stated in this itinerary are subject to change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities
APRIL 15 - Day 1 - Arrive in Victoria
We'll spend our first afternoon exploring Beacon Hill Park's meandering foot paths, tree lined ponds, exotic birds and gardens. After an ocean side dinner together we'll explore Victorias picturesque inner harbor until sunset.
APRIL 16 - Day 2 - Port Renfrew
We'll depart early to the wild west coast of Vancouver Island. On the way to Port Renfrew, we'll explore several secret water falls and our first taste of sea scape scenics. After a 3 pm check-in at the West Coast Trail lodge and an early dinner we'll experience the sunset magic of "Botany Bay".
APRIL 17 - Day 3 - Port Renfrew
We'll meet up at 6:30 am and head to Sombrio Beach. Sombrio features a moss covered slot canyon, craggy rock beach breaks and cliff drop water falls spilling into the ocean. For sunset, we'll venture through the old growth rainforest as well head towards Botanical Beach. Rock shelves, and marine life rich tidal pools will highlight your experience at Botanical.
APRIL 18 - Day 4 - Port Renfrew
Again, we'll meet up at 6:30 am and head to Fairy Lake to photograph a very special little tree that dances in and out of the morning fog. We'll also have a decent chance of photographing the islands own Rosevelt elk. In the afternoon, we'll visit a the gorgeous rainforest waterfall, Pazant. For sunset, we'll revisit Botany Bay or Sombrio depending upon conditions.
APRIL 19 - Day 5 - Port Renfrew and back to Victoria
Our last morning together offers a spectacular surprise location along the Juan de Fuca trail that Dave has scouted especially for this workshop. We'll convene for our farewell breakfast after our morning shoot. If you're not in a rush to get back to Victoria plan of staying the day. Dave and I will be staying in Port Renfrew for an informal private session at the location of your choice.
If you have any questions regarding this photo workshop please contact me at: