Colorado Mountain Wildflowers - Photo Vision Quest
July 25-29 / 2018 - Cost TBA - Limited to 8 participants. Optional 2 day extension experience. Cost TBA each person.
The end of July is the peak wildflower season in the San Juan Mountains. The workshop will be based out of Silverstone, CO. which is a great central hub allowing access to all the high alpine basins. Possible locations could include American Basin, Yankee Boy Basin, Clear Lake Basin, Mollas Lake, Porphyry Basin and Red Mountain.
Although we will be visiting many beautiful locations, creative and artistic growth will be the priority and focus of this workshop. Photographers must be willing to make the most of the location and conditions present, willing to embrace less than ideal conditions as a opportunity for creative growth.
• Adventurous photographs willing and able hike, drive and work off the beaten path.
• Curious photographers eager to push beyond their current creative boundaries.
• Excited photographers ready to move past documentary or representational image making.
• Informed photographers that understand how their cameras function.
• Accepting photographers willing to make the most of the conditions present.
• Exuberant photographers capable of early morning (pre-sunrise) photo excursions.
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR:
• Photographers with limited or impaired physical mobility.
• Location based photographers un-interested in making artistic growth a priority.
• Photographers that need assistance with basic camera operations.
AWAKENING YOUR CREATIVE POTENTIAL
The effulgence of summer Is natures ultimate crescendo! A time in which the mysterious workings of nature explode as an enlivened dance and celebration of life. Even the sun and moon and stars creatively conspire stirring all creatures and species both great and small to live and love and relish in the abundance this season has to offer! Why is this important to you? The effulgence of summer in the San Juan's will surely stir your creative juices, symbolizing and enlivening your creative voice of longing. Allow this enchanted world of wildflowers and cascading waterfalls to bloom within your creative imaginings. Learn to relish in the awakening of the light within, the spark deep within your heart-mind beckoning as the image waiting to be born.
We will meet in Silverton at 12 noon on July 25th. out front of the Silverton Chamber of Commerce / Visitors Center. Our workshop will conclude after a group lunch on July 29th. approximately 1pm.
OPTIONAL TWO DAY EXTENSION
This will be a exciting opportunity to explore one of the most spectacular high alpine basins in the entire San Juan Mountains, Ice Lake Basin! This two day extension will require us to backpack into the basin the morning of the July 30th and hike out the morning of August 1st. Staying two full days will provide ample opportunity for us to explore the numerous high alpine tarns, glacier fed lakes and dozens of waterfalls while wading through a sea of wildflowers!
While the 4.5 mile hike into Upper Ice Lake Basin isn't a particularly long, it is somewhat strenuous, mostly due to the elevation. This moderately long hike is on a good trail, with an elevation gain of approximately 2400ft. We will go slow, take many breaks and pace ourselves, with no one feeling pressured to keep up.
Although Ice lake is a popular day hike for seasoned hikers, it is the early morning and late afternoon light that is absolutely magical for photography. Backpacking and camping will allow us to capture spectacular imagery during these fleeting morning and afternoon windows. If conditions permit we will also explore starlight photographic opportunities as well. Two of the most incredible waterfalls align perfectly with the milky way that time of year!
1. The Wyman Hotel & Inn - (970) 387-5372 - thewyman.com
2. Teller House - 800-342-4338 - tellerhouse.com
3. The Triangle Motel - (970) 387-5780 - triangemotel.com
4. Grand Imperial - (800) 341-3340 - grandimperialhotel.com
5. Canyon View - (970) 387-5400 - canyonviewmotel.com
• A detailed pack and prep list (once you register).
• Expert guidance to all of the areas greatest locations.
• Transportation between all shooting locations.
• In-field technical instructions related to composition, control of light, focus stacking, etc.
• In-field practices for maximizing your unique creative expression including visualization and awareness practices as well as breathing and bodily somatic practices for radically shifting your state to one of pure presence and peak creative expression.
• Creative & detailed image processing techniques that fully capture and reflect YOUR unique creative vision. Powerful post precessing techniques that fully integrates your experience in the field with the expression of the final image creation.
WHATS NOT INCLUDED
• Transportation to and from our primary meeting point, Silverton, CO
• Any snacks, alcohol or beverages.
• Lodging & car rental.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE REGISTERING!
•You are registration for the San Juan Mountain Wildflower Workshop running July 25-29/2018.
• This is a small group tour limited to 8 participants. Although the San Juan's are beautiful and abundant with flowers, expect numerous inclement or ever severe and abrupt weather changes through the tour.
• Hotel accommodations or camping will be at your discretion and expense. Consider one of the suggested lodging options or explore your own. As another option, nomadic style backcountry or designated camping will also be an option depending upon the planned shooting locations. In other words, as the shooting locations are determined (Usually the day before) your camp can be re-located for easiest and quickest access to our preferred shooting locations.
• Suggested local lodging accommodations will require a 20-45 minute drive to our scheduled shooting locations. It will be the responsibility of the individual participants to manage their time, morning wake ups and transportation to and from shooting locations. As a group we will ride share when ever possible.
• If the shooting locations require 4x4 access Shane will provide the group with a 4x4 rental as and when needed.
Check back soon, registration opening in December!